Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Family Travels Map

     This is probably one of my favorite projects I've ever done.  My husband travels a lot for work and the kids and I often get to go along.  We also love our summer trips to go see family (most who live far away.)  I needed a fun way to display all our fun photos to remind us of all the great times we've had.  I came up with this idea after being inspired by a travel map I saw in one of those airplane catalogs (you know, the one with a million gadgets that you don't need and at costs you shouldn't pay?!)

     We keep track of where we've been by gluing on little, red rhinestones on the cities we've visited.




Around the map, we have room to display photos of our trips.  With all those trips, we end up with a lot of leftover coins.  I glued coins from all over the world to magnets and used these to hang up the photos. I LOVE how it looks!


Here's how I made this project:

I started with a HUGE frame I found for $5 at a garage sale.  It had just about the ugliest picture of a teddy bear I've ever seen in it.  But I saw the size and shape of the frame and grabbed it.  This barely fit in the back of my minivan, it's so big.  First, I painted the frame black.  I then cut a piece of very thin plywood to the size of the old backing. I then used liquid nails to glue a couple pieces of tin to the backing. I get sheets of tin at Home Depot in the Heating Duct section for about $9 for a 24" x 36" piece. You can use tin snips to cut the tin to size.
     After the glue dried, I used Mod Podge to apply scrapbook paper all over the tin.  I ordered the National Geographic world map from www.art.com (or www.allposters.com.)  I cut out just the map and used Mod Podge again to stick it over the scapbook paper. 


     I made a label in the center of the map, at the bottom.


Then, with your coin magnets, add your photos as you travel!


I included this picture of my little "tater tot" (and his cardboard "car tunnel") to show you the scale of this big map.  It's in our hallway so we can see it all the time.  When Daddy travels, I show them where he is.

     If you don't travel much internationally, use a large map of the US and do the same thing!  I'm looking to make another one soon, so I'll try to take photos of the process and post a better tutorial in the future.

15 comments:

  1. This is really amazing! WOW! I love the old world feel of the map you chose, too. Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your creation. I also love to travel and would love to do something like this to remember all the cities I have visited. I have tons of coins from countries I've been to and love your magnet idea. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this. we need to travel a bit more first, but definitely see this as a future project. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THat is so cool! I suppose that a US map would work a bit better for us as we have been a lot of places in our country but not much internationally yet. We do love to travel though and we love maps and geography so this would be a huge hit at our house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to showcase your memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so need to do this that is such a cute idea! I would love for you to link up to check me out saturdays www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a good idea, Erin!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful idea. I have seen maps with pins in them before to mark travels but this is so much better. The photos around the border are such a beautiful personal touch and the rhinestones make it seem like each place was a special gem- I love that. Great job, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea. I've always wanted to create a map like this for our family's travels. I wouldn't have thought of using the coins for magnets - what a great idea! The rhinestones are a great alternative - especially with little kiddos in the house. Can't wait to see where you travel next.

    Sara @ The Handy Hausfrau

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another brilliant idea and so perfect for those of us who love to travel.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful job! Love love how this came out - thanks for sharing over at Pepper Design Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely blog, hope to see you at My Dream Canvas!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! This is a great post and inspiration!
    I'm moving houses end of the week and instead of packing I was on pinterest when I saw this. Love it! I def. want to do something like this in our new house.
    How do you do the coin-thing so they become magnetic?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Opana ER 20 mg is an aggravation medication like a narcotic. It acts in the focal sensory system (CNS) to mitigate pain.Opana ER 20 mg is utilized to get moderate serious torment in grown-ups.The lengthy delivery type of Opana ER 20 mg is for nonstop treatment of torment. This type of Opana ER 20 mg isn't really for use dependent upon the situation for pain.and Opana buy online with discount offer. Opana ER 20 mg has a place with the opiate analgesics class of medications, and can be perceived by its octagonal(Eight Sided) shape and green tone.

    https://storeonline247.com/
    https://www.healthshopcare.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hydrocodone is an engineered narcotic subordinate of codeine. It is consistently utilized in mix with acetaminophen to order moderate to extreme pain.Historically, hydrocodone has been utilized as a hack suppressant albeit this has to a great extent been supplanted by dextromethorphan in current hack and cold details. Hydrocodone's extra intense metabolite, hydromorphone has likewise tracked down huge use as a pain relieving and is often utilized in instances of extreme torment. hydrocodone Watson 10-325mg Buy onlineThe FDA initially supported Hydrocodone in 1943.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails